Saturday, May 19, 2012

Ocean Isle Beach, NC   May 16
I am out of South Carolina and thankful to be alive. That is not a bicycle friendly state. The roads have no shoulders and in many places the pavement looks like alligator hide.
While I escaped alive I was forced off the road twice, once by two logging trucks coming at each other, each refusing to give way for my presence. Luckily, the roadside was flat and grassy so the fall wasn’t too bad . The other time it was by a black SUV that came up behind me too close for comfort.
Two times I had things thrown at me—once it was a cigarette butt, the other time a drink cup that didn’t appear to have much in it. Neither hit their mark.
I was yelled at too many times to count. I have no idea what was said given that the yellers were moving past me at up to 60 miles per hour. I’m sure they were words of encouragement.
All of this in a state where virtually every mile there’s a Jesus Saves sign. I guess He saves souls but does not instill kindness and understanding for the slow moving.
Crossing the line into North Carolina gave me a shoulder on which to ride, a smooth roadbed and signs stating “Bike Route” and “Share the Road.” Ah, a state that cares for bicycle riders.  Love ya, ‘heels. 
My lunch stop was at the Sunset Beach Gourmet Deli because it had wifi. I ordered a walnut/cranberry turkey salad sandwich, pasta salad and ice tea. Ann Cuozzo, who with her husband Stephen, owns the deli, asked about my ride.  She is an exception to the vast majority of people I’ve encountered thus far.
Very few people have asked me anything despite my orange T-shirt stating “Deirdre’s Ride for ALS.” Most give me a quick glance and then look away. And no one who has taken my order in a restaurant has asked anything other than what I wanted to eat. OK, given my outfit they might have a little concern about my sanity, but the only people who ask about ALS are ones who already know about it. Except for the one guy who asked, “Who is Als?”
Ann and soon Stephen, out from the kitchen, were firing questions at me. They knew about ALS since a friend of their son had died from it. Stephen, a big bike rider in the past, loves the idea of touring on two wheels but doesn’t figure he’s up to it at his age. I asked for the bill. “It’s on us,” said Ann. “You’re doing something good and that’s our little thanks.”  Good people who create delicious food in a warm, inviting, caring atmosphere.
To make a donation please go to this site: http://web.alsa.org/goto/deirdresride

1 comment:

  1. Interesting post. I spend quite a bit of time on http://www.bikeforums.net and awhile back there were a thread about bike hostile drivers. From the responses to the thread it seemed that the farther South you are the worse drivers are to cyclists.

    I don't have any experience cycling anywhere but here in Pittsburgh but compared to other places Pittsburgh seems to be pretty good. I used to ride to work everyday and only twice did I experience any hostility. Once an empty coke can was thrown at me and another time I was almost ran off the shoulder and into a ditch.

    ReplyDelete