Friday, May 11, 2012

Callahan   May 8
Long haul today from south of St. Augustine through Jacksonville to just south of the Georgia border. It was a record day! Not for miles but the number of times I got rained on--five. Worst was as I passed the entrance to Sawgrass Golf Club, where they are playing some big tournament this week. The rain fell so hard and fast it seemed as if I was standing under one of those huge cauldrons at a water park that eventually gets so full it tips over on you.  A half mile past Sawgrass not a drop of rain had fallen. It was raining again as I waited for the Mayport ferry across the St. John’s River. A car driver behind me kindly offered me his backseat while we waited for the ferry. I declined saying I was already soaked and didn’t want to damage his car. It is very frustrating to spend a day getting into and out of rain gear.  

1 comment:

  1. Jane and I were on bicycles from St. Augustine.
    Mayport Ferry, winter of 1973, seven inches of rain in one hour with a 40 knot tail wind into Jacksonville. Couldn’t have gotten wetter fully submerged…a memory shared.
    John and Jane Grimsrud
    www.bicycleyucatan.com

    ReplyDelete