Sunday, May 6, 2012

Miami Shores    April 28
Doc’s Diner in Key Largo is like Cheers, where everyone knows your name, except for mine. However, I was greeted by both waitresses with “Good morning. Welcome to Doc’s.”
Before I could settle in, Rosa was at my table asking if I wanted coffee and handing me a menu. The door opened and the other waitress said,” Good morning Bill.” Before he reached the counter she had his coffee poured and quickly handed his order through to the kitchen. Bill got a newspaper from the machine and soon he and Gloria, the waitress,  were discussing national and world events.
“Morning Julie,” went up as a woman and two friends entered. Next to be greeted was Ted who moved to a stool next to Bill. 
As I plowed through a delicious breakfast burrito that was big enough to choke a buffalo, Ted announced that he hadn’t had a cigarette since 3 p.m. the day before. “Wow, that’s great,” said Gloria. “How you feeling?” Ted explained that he was doing OK and that he’s using Chantix. “We’re proud of you,” Gloria said. “Keep it up.”
A warm and caring environment; the rest of the day was not.  From almost the time l left Doc’s it rained…not hard but annoyingly.  The route took me past hundreds of acres of nurseries, mostly palm trees. As I turned north on one road I looked ahead—blackness with sheets of rain coming at me. I had just enough time to get on my rain gear when I was lashed by wind and rain. With nothing but muddy fields around me the only choice was to pedal on.
I pedaled through Florida City, Cutler Ridge, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, Bal Harbor and Miami trying to find a motel with a room available on the first floor so I could take my bike into the room. I finally found one in a less than ideal section of Miami. I spread things out to dry, showered, dried the bike and gear as best I could and collapsed on the bed to watch TV. Oh my, what channel 36 had to offer! I should have realized something was amiss when a sign in the lobby stated: “No refunds after 5 minutes in the room.”

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the Oakdale Diner. They remodeled after you left and it is now like a 1950's Diner. Great food just like always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As to the motel, I think I would have slept on top of the sheets

    ReplyDelete