Thursday, June 7, 2012

Phoenixville, June 2 -3 

Ah, the smell of cow manure in the morning. How delightful. I’m deep in farm country, mostly Amish, Brethren and Mennonite, which means the farms are well cared for and the ground respected. I ride amid a variegated green patchwork of soybeans, corn and wheat. I am also alert to dodge around the deposits of the creatures that go clip-clopping along pulling the black wagons in these parts.

But an even better smell is that of chocolate. As I ride into Mt. Joy my nose fills with that delicious unmistakable odor.  Hmm, yes, a cup of hot chocolate would be great just about now. But what’s going on in this tiny community at 6:30 on a Saturday morning? A guy sweeping the sidewalk answers my question: “That’s the Wilbur Chocolate factory. It’s over there,” he says, waving a hand behind him.

I never did find the factory but Wilbur makes its own chocolate, coatings and cocoa products.  One line they produce is Peter’s Chocolates. Daniel Peter invented milk chocolate in Switzerland in 1875 and Wilbur bought the company to ensure that the oldest milk chocolate manufacturer in the world would continue operations.

My spin around the town also uncovers Spangler’s Flour Mill, which makes flour and cereals for grocery stores so they can have their own brand-name products. Close by Reist Popcorn Co., supplies premium popcorn to the snack food industry. A bustling little agricultural town.

To understand why I'm riding and raising money, please go to the first post--April 26.
To make a donation to the ALSA, please go to: http://web.alsa.org/goto/deirdresride

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mike!
    Wilbur Chocolate is located in Lititz, PA, one of Susan's favorite places.
    Ed & Susan Matthews
    Denver, PA

    ReplyDelete